CAPTURING THE SPIRIT OF ADVENTURE
Date TBC (5 day workshop)
Hanoi is the second largest city and capital of Vietnam and is located in the north on the right bank of the Red River. There are many key locations to visit and photograph in and around Hanoi, including temples and museums, the Old Quarter, the many markets and the designer shops of the French Quarter.
The marketplaces are a focus for organised chaos in the city; narrow roads with stalls spilling out onto the streets, women carrying baskets of fruit, eggs and vegetables, look out for the miniature pineapples which are delicious, mopeds make their way through the crowds and stalls to deliver goods, they are a great place to photograph. Ngocho Kham Thien market includes clothing and textiles, fruit and vegetables, as well as livestock. Cho Dong Xuan is the largest market and is good for fabrics and souvenirs.
The Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum Complex is an important place of pilgrimage for many Vietnamese. Consisting of a traffic-free area of botanical gardens, monuments, memorials and pagodas, it is crowded by groups of Vietnamese who come from far and wide to pay their respects.
Old Vietnam and the influence of the war remains evident, alongside the modern western influences of the young generation Vietnamese.
As part of your visit to Hanoi the Trang Tien Ice Cream Shop and Beer Street in the old quarter are a must experience.
Itinerary - Dates: 21-25 October (5 days)
We will start with a pre-shoot training over breakfast. We will also share tips for getting the best shots. We will then travel together to the first meeting point of the day. Working in pairs we will explore the city from this meeting point and will come back together again at set times for a tea break to point each other in the direction of points of interest before swapping pairs and going off again. We will keep going all day (or until we need a shower and beer back at the hotel). In the evening we will meet for dinner and conversation all things photography.
Day 2 - 4
After having breakfast together, we will spend the day exploring different parts of the city; including the marketplaces and important local sites; exploring a wide range of subjects through our documentary photography. We will continue to work in pairs, swapping throughout the day. After we finish shooting, we will have about an hour break to edit some of our bests from the day. We will share these images, discuss all thing photography and have dinner.
After breakfast we will take our last look at the city, applying all the key documentary skills we have learned over the week. The afternoon focuses on editing and reviewing everyone’s photography from the course. We will have our final meal together in the evening and perhaps a Hanoi Beer or two on Beer Street!
What is included:
Any internal travel required related to the course
Each day we visit different locations as a group and each of these days is pre-planned by the tutor(s) enabling you to maximise your shooting, editing and learning time while in the country
Tuition and guidance on photography techniques and 'seeing' new images to capture
Critiquing of images including editing advice and guidance
Copy of our very own - Travel Photography Adventures travel guide for photographers worth £12.99 will give you lots of tips to help you get prepared
What is not included:
Flights, accommodation and food/drink, however - we do provide advice on this as it is nice for the whole group to stay in the same hotel at each stage of the course.
Travel insurance is your responsibility and you may be required to show us proof of this before embarking on the course.
We adopt an immersive approach; from where we stay and eat to where we go out and shoot, so every aspect of the workshop is designed to focus on a shared photographic experience.
· Every day consists of shooting around a location with some targeted photographic elements and mini projects to explore, critique and technique, and then editing in the later part of the day/evening.
· As a team there is an agreement to share and discuss our images together in an open forum.
· The main focus is observational documentary street photography, but with elements of reportage and travel photography.
· Using some of our own images we will demonstrate the key technical elements of travel photography that make great exhibition/publication and competition winning images prior to first days shoot.
· Be prepared to be challenged, you will leave with new confidence and skills to continue with your photography.
· Using wide angle and wide prime lenses you will get up close to the action to photograph, no hiding behind long lenses! :-)
· Small group numbers mean we work in twos and can spend time with everyone over a day’s photography and can observe you and give immediate feedback as we photograph and you get to mix with everyone in the growth-learning from, inspiring each other to get better and better.
· Our knowledge of the locations, organisation of transport as needed as well as using areas within walking distance so that so we make the best use of our time
· The order of days may change due to events locally to make the best of each location
·Digital camera that you are familiar with using, a 35mm prime lens is recommended - please call / email us to discuss if you are unsure
·Laptop for downloading images and editing
·Software for editing – recommend Photo Mechanic, and Lightroom
·Smart phone with apps such as Google maps and WhatsApp (providing you have a smart phone we can explain the uses of these apps at the beginning of the course).
·An interest in all things photography and desire to improve your skills; this is a shared experience and we tend to eat and socialise together and it’s a great opportunity to discuss our passion and inspiration in photography and photographers
·Ready to step out of your comfort zone with support and encouragement
·Hotels, food and transport are locally sourced and provide an authentic experience, clean and comfortable, we tend to use simple and very affordable accommodation with this in mind.
·Comfortable walking shoes and be active and ready to enjoy and experience what this wonderful world has to offer. Every day will involve a lot of walking with your camera. Please call/email us if you would like to know more about this as some destinations are more challenging than others.
·Comprehensive health and travel insurance – Travel Photography Adventures are not responsible for personal accidents and health related issues during the workshop, although if such occur we will do our best to help out.
·Please always do your research before travelling to ensure that you are well-protected with vaccinations etc. We recommend using this site as a starting point: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/ and contact your GP for a travel clinic appointment in plenty of time before travelling
·Book your own flights to and from international workshops; we recommend arriving at least a day before and leave the day after the course ends
· Check your passport is valid and has at least six months validity left within it by the end of your trip, for some courses you will need a visa – check online for more travel requirements and information https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice
· Local currency, food, drink and accommodation payable locally usually require cash payments
· Access to social media to join exclusive photography group online sharing information, both prior to, during and after the workshop
·Sense of humour and patience, you are sharing an experience as part of a team on this workshop, and be flexible sometimes we have to make changes or things just don’t go as expected - these adventures are well-planned yet sometimes adventures require
Payment and cancellations:
·You can either pay in full directly through the website or you can request an invoice for a non-refundable £500 deposit.
· If you decide to pay a deposit first, full payment is needed 4 months prior to the start date of the course.
· Please note that for any international courses there will no refund available 4 months prior to course date.
· If the workshop is cancelled individual travel arrangements will not be refunded, you should claim from your travel insurance
· Prices are payable in UK pounds sterling.
For further information please contact us by email or phone.