CAPTURING THE SPIRIT OF ADVENTURE
ISTANBUL MARKETS AND MOSQUES
Date TBC (5 day workshop)
Istanbul is one of the most photogenic cities in the world. Given its astonishing history, there is no shortage of subjects to photograph. Great characters interacting as part of the busy markets and the solemn and often emotional scenes in and around the mosque will inspire your photography on this location photography workshop with us.
We will also visit the surrounding areas, bazaars and mosques.
The places, people and dimly lit passages are a rich source of inspiration including the numerous bazaars just happen to be the perfect backdrop for documentary street photography. The markets are full of things to experience as well as capture. We will help you ‘see’ these scenes in a different way, rich and full of opportunities for fantastic photography. With a myriad of halls and passages where you’ll find traders selling anything and everything imaginable.
What is particularly prevalent in Istanbul is the opportunity to capture the colour and atmosphere of the local people engaged in their day to day business and lives.
Istanbul is truly inspirational for street photography, with its juxtaposition of colour grittiness; beautiful with deteriorated streets and buildings. The marketplaces, mosques and people within add many layers to capture in your storytelling images.
A key focus on one of the days of this course is the Spice Bazaar in the historic part of Istanbul. Your senses will be overwhelmed with the smells and colours of nearly 100 shops in this bazaar alone. We also enjoy time in the open markets – where you will see flowers, plants, seeds and birds. As a total must, we will take a coffee break at the famous 100-year old coffee shop, Kurukahveci Mehmet Efendi.
We will capture highly emotional pictures of the people of the city at the various Mosques. It is very important, we as a group are sensitive to their beliefs and practices. In the past, the group has been able to position themselves to be able to get some of the most stunning storytelling images.
What is included:
Any internal travel required related to the course
Each day we visit different locations as a group and each of these days is pre-planned by the tutor(s) enabling you to maximise your shooting, editing and learning time while in the country
Tuition and guidance on photography techniques and 'seeing' new images to capture
Critiquing of images including editing advice and guidance
Copy of our very own - Travel Photography Adventures travel guide for photographers worth £12.99 will give you lots of tips to help you get prepared
What is not included:
Flights, accommodation and food/drink, however - we do provide advice on this as it is nice for the whole group to stay in the same hotel at each stage of the course.
Travel insurance is your responsibility and you may be required to show us proof of this before embarking on the course.
We adopt an immersive approach; from where we stay and eat to where we go out and shoot, so every aspect of the workshop is designed to focus on a shared photographic experience.
· Every day consists of shooting around a location with some targeted photographic elements and mini projects to explore, critique and technique, and then editing in the later part of the day/evening.
· As a team there is an agreement to share and discuss our images together in an open forum.
· The main focus is observational documentary street photography, but with elements of reportage and travel photography.
· Using some of our own images we will demonstrate the key technical elements of travel photography that make great exhibition/publication and competition winning images prior to first days shoot.
· Be prepared to be challenged, you will leave with new confidence and skills to continue with your photography.
· Using wide angle and wide prime lenses you will get up close to the action to photograph, no hiding behind long lenses! :-)
· Small group numbers mean we work in twos and can spend time with everyone over a day’s photography and can observe you and give immediate feedback as we photograph and you get to mix with everyone in the growth-learning from, inspiring each other to get better and better.
· Our knowledge of the locations, organisation of transport as needed as well as using areas within walking distance so that so we make the best use of our time
· The order of days may change due to events locally to make the best of each location
·Digital camera that you are familiar with using, a 35mm prime lens is recommended - please call / email us to discuss if you are unsure
·Laptop for downloading images and editing
·Software for editing – recommend Photo Mechanic, and Lightroom
·Smart phone with apps such as Google maps and WhatsApp (providing you have a smart phone we can explain the uses of these apps at the beginning of the course).
·An interest in all things photography and desire to improve your skills; this is a shared experience and we tend to eat and socialise together and it’s a great opportunity to discuss our passion and inspiration in photography and photographers
·Ready to step out of your comfort zone with support and encouragement
·Hotels, food and transport are locally sourced and provide an authentic experience, clean and comfortable, we tend to use simple and very affordable accommodation with this in mind.
·Comfortable walking shoes and be active and ready to enjoy and experience what this wonderful world has to offer. Every day will involve a lot of walking with your camera. Please call/email us if you would like to know more about this as some destinations are more challenging than others.
·Comprehensive health and travel insurance – Travel Photography Adventures are not responsible for personal accidents and health related issues during the workshop, although if such occur we will do our best to help out.
·Please always do your research before travelling to ensure that you are well-protected with vaccinations etc. We recommend using this site as a starting point: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/travel-vaccinations/ and contact your GP for a travel clinic appointment in plenty of time before travelling
·Book your own flights to and from international workshops; we recommend arriving at least a day before and leave the day after the course ends
· Check your passport is valid and has at least six months validity left within it by the end of your trip, for some courses you will need a visa – check online for more travel requirements and information https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice
· Local currency, food, drink and accommodation payable locally usually require cash payments
· Access to social media to join exclusive photography group online sharing information, both prior to, during and after the workshop
·Sense of humour and patience, you are sharing an experience as part of a team on this workshop, and be flexible sometimes we have to make changes or things just don’t go as expected - these adventures are well-planned yet sometimes adventures require
Payment and cancellations:
·You can either pay in full directly through the website or you can request an invoice for a non-refundable £500 deposit.
· If you decide to pay a deposit first, full payment is needed 4 months prior to the start date of the course.
· Please note that for any international courses there will no refund available 4 months prior to course date.
· If the workshop is cancelled individual travel arrangements will not be refunded, you should claim from your travel insurance
· Prices are payable in UK pounds sterling.
For further information please contact us by email or phone.